Established in 1922 as a humble technical school, Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious English Universities in Africa. In January of that year, the school, which was later renamed Uganda Technical College, opened its doors to 14 day students who began studying Carpentry, Building and Mechanics.
The College soon began offering various other courses in Medical Care, Agriculture , Veterinary Sciences and Teacher Training. It expanded over the years to become a Center for Higher Education in East Africa in 1935. In 1937, the College started developing into an institution of higher education, offering post-school certificate courses.
In 1949, it became a University College affiliated to the University College of London, offering courses leading to the general degrees of its then mother institution.
With the establishment of the University of East Africa in June 29, 1963, the special relationship with the University of London came to a close and degrees of the University of East Africa were instituted.
On July 1, 1970, Makerere became an independent national university of the Republic of Uganda, offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses leading to its own awards. Makerere University offers not only day but also evening and external study programmes to a student body of about 35,000 undergraduates and 3,000 postgraduates (both Ugandan and foreign). It is also a very active centre for research.
The University transitioned from the Faculty-based to the collegiate system on 1st July 2011 and as of Friday 30th December 2011, Makerere University officially transformed into a Collegiate University with 9 Constituent Colleges and as at 1st July 2014, 10 Constituent Colleges including the School of Law, all operating as semi-autonomous units of the University.
Makerere University Business School (MUBS) was established by Makerere University (Establishment of Constituent College) order 1997 as a constituent college of Makerere University (MUK). The School was created from a merger between the faculty of commerce (FOC) and the national college of business studies (NCBS). The merger involved the physical movement of the faculty of commerce from the Makerere Campus to Nakawa where the NCBS was located. The actual merger and movement took place in January 1998.
In the year 2000, the law was amended to give financial and administrative autonomy by the Makerere University (Establishment of constituent college) (Amendment) order (MUECCA (A) 2001. As a result of this amendment, the school structure changed tremendously. The law created a council with authority similar to that of Makerere University Council.
The year 2001, the structure of the school again changed with the enactment of the University and other tertiary institutions Act, which made the school transform from a constituent college of Makerere to a public tertiary institution affiliated to Makerere University.
The statutory order establishing the School mandated it to organize and develop business and commercial training in the country at the different level. “The objectives and functions for which the school is established are to strengthen the institute providing commercial and business education in order to provide high quality standards in the commercial sector through an increased intake of students and output of qualified personnel from the various degree, diploma and certificate programmes in commercial and business education